Did someone say creamy vegan mac and cheese all in the same sentence? This twist on everyone’s favorite comfort food is better and healthier for you than using actual cheese or dairy in your mac and cheese! Alternatively, my cruelty-free cashew cheese sauce packs in all the flavor from your childhood favorite without any of the bad stuff! I switch things up in this creamy vegan mac and cheese recipe by using kabocha squash, sweet potato or butternut squash.
This dish is so much fun to play around with and great if you’re new to plant-based food! Being vegan doesn’t mean giving up all the foods you love to eat. It’s just about using the right ingredients. I hope you love this creamy vegan mac and cheese as much as I do! Don’t forget to use the hashtag #rawmanda on Instagram if you try out my recipes. I’d love to see your wonderful creations!
- Cashew Cheeze Sauce
- ⅓ cup roasted kabocha squash, sweet potato or butternut squash
- ⅓ cup raw unsalted cashews
- 1/4 cup filtered water or veggie broth
- Juice of ¼ lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 1-2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Roast kabocha squash, sweet potato or butternut squash
- Blend everything in a high-speed blender
- Add the sauce to your favorite pasta with some leafy greens and lightly steamed broccoli