Carrots are one of the veggies I really miss eating cooked. I have a hard time eating them raw but I’m working on it! Carrot cake has been on my list of raw desserts to make and I finally had time to create the perfect low fat raw recipe!! When I searched online for recipes.. a ton of high fat recipes popped up, womp womp.
I’m not a fan of most raw dessert recipes that are made up of 80% – 90% fats like nuts/seeds/oils. To me that’s crazy! Although they are considered “healthy” fats, there’s nothing healthy about eating raw desserts that are made up that much fat. I’m totally a fan of desserts you can eat in abundance – and won’t feel bad eating more than 1…. or 10 servings.
Now that I’ve created a recipe that makes eating raw carrots enjoyable, I have a feeling that I will be making these carrot cake bites quite often. The bites are perfect for topping on a smoothie bowl, but even more amazing blended into a smoothie so you get chunks of carrot cake in there.
Let me know in the comments if you try my recipes, I would love to hear about what you think!
- ¾ - 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- ½ - ¾ cup finely shredded carrots (I used a peeler)
- ½ cup dried mulberries (or raisins)
- 7 medjool dates
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves OR ginger, whatever you prefer!
- Blend oats in vitamix (food processor should work too) until you get a fine consistency like flour.
- Add in dried mulberries, pulse a few times to break them up then add carrots, vanilla and spices.
- Slowly add in dates and water. If you're patient (unlike me!) you can soak dates ahead of time for easier blending!
- Roll dough into balls and cover in shredded coconut if you want. I wet my hands to make it easier to manage the the dough, it's very sticky!
- Freeze for 2 hours and enjoy!